Monday, January 7, 2013

Computer Armoire turned AWESOME TV Stand

I am kind of geeked about this post. I randomly came up with the idea to somehow re purpose the armoire that had been sitting in my living room serving NO purpose (it somehow became my catch-all and was full of junk). I even tried to sell it a couple months ago, but had no luck. 
 
 
 
Inside.....
 
 
So, what to do with the old girl? Oh and by the way, I picked this up from an Ad on Craigslist about 3 years ago for $40. You certainly didn't think I paid full price for her, did you? :)

While contemplating my new use for this Armoire, I had to keep something in mind. It's not real wood. It's all laminate, which is a pain in the rear to paint.

OK. So, I decided I was going to somehow turn it into a new TV stand. It would need some tweaking of the shelves on the inside since it's designed for a computer, but it could work!
 
Here we go.....
 
I recently learned that Home Depot has EVERY Benjamin Moore paint code in their computers and although they don't sell BM paint, you CAN get the BM color in a Glidden or Behr paint. Ummmm.....AWESOME!
 
I chose Antique Pewter and got it in a Glidden sample of Eggshell. Since the sample clearly isn't enough to paint an entire armoire (which would likely take several coats), I had to get creative. I am ALWAYS looking to do things the cheapest way possible. I obviously could have bought a larger can of paint, but that's silly.

I had half a can of an Antique White from another project, so I mixed half of my BM sample in with a very large amount of the white. This obviously lightened my paint color substantially, but I was cool with that. I actually really liked the end result of the color.
 
 
After 2 coats of paint, it was ready to be sanded. I was going for a very very distressed look for the ol' girl.
 
 
Getting there. A lot of elbow grease folks. A lot.
 
After a lot of sanding and spending a great deal of time (with the help of my trusty assistant, my Sister!) getting the TV, DVD player, Cable box, etc. switched over - we were DONE! I also learned that I was never meant to be any kind of electrician or cable installer. I am a wire moron.
 
 
Beautiful, isn't she?
 
 
I opted not to paint the inside for two reasons. 1. That would take up WAY too much time.   2. I wanted the look of the wood on the inside. 
It worked out!  
I love having the option to close the doors on it when people come over!
 
 
 
 
 
Oh, I just love it!
 
Moral of today's post: Don't get rid of your old furniture!! Re purpose it DIY style!!
 
The final breakdown for this project was only $2.94 (sample paint). I already had everything needed to create this gem!

No comments:

Post a Comment